Damilola's Blog on Ease of Administration


UPGRADING SQL 2008 SP1 TO SQL 2008 R2 WITH SCOM 2007 R2 ALREADY DEPLOYED
September 28, 2010, 10:42 am
Filed under: SCOM, SQL | Tags: ,

Recently I was saddled with the task of upgrading our SQL 2008 SP1 server to SQL 2008 R2. Here is what I did;
TASKS

PRE-UPGRADE
1. Install and run SQL Server 2008 R2 upgrade advisor on the server
2. Based on the analysis report from the upgrade advisor, make corrections and re-run the upgrade advisor.
Issues Encountered and Resolution
1. Custom security and authentication extensions were detected; the effect of this was that the upgrade would be blocked. In order to resolve this, the security and authentication entries in the report services configuration file were removed and placed in a text file.
2. Custom data processing and report items extensions were discovered; the effect of this is that the upgrade can be done but the custom extensions would have to be manually moved from the old installation file to the new installation file

UPGRADE
1. Run the setup file from the disk or shared directory and on the installation center page, select planning menu and select system configuration checker (this helps to ensure that the system requirements are adequate)
2. Select Installation menu and select upgrade from SQL 2000, 2005, 2008
3. After the support files are installed a restart is required though the upgrade can continue and the server can be restarted after the upgrade is complete.

POST UPGRADE
1. Update the reporting server configuration file with the security and authentication entries copied out before the upgrade. This enables the Operations manager reporting server function again.
2. Move all extensions present in the old bin folder of the old report server installation to the bin folder of the new reporting server.

LESSONS LEARNT
Ensure to run the upgrade advisor first in order to help plan your upgrade. 🙂

Advertisements

4 Comments so far
Leave a comment

Hi, Then you very much for your post. In my case (Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 from SQL Server 2008 SP1), the Upgrade Advisor rpovide the below message.

“Upgrade Advisor detected one or more custom data processing extensions on the report server. Upgrade can continue, but you must move the data processing extension assemblies to the new installation folder.”,

Can you please elaborate in your post? I mean the below.
1. Where to get the complete list of Extensions in RS server?
2. After discover the complete list, in which folder do we have the custom exensions available for backup before SQL server 2008 R2 upgrade?

Currently, I am looking for the Extensions in RSReportServer.config file.

It would be great if you can help on this.
Thanks, Jey

Comment by Jey

Hi Jey,

The upgrade advisor is refering to the custom data processing extensions that are contained in the bin folder of the reporting server instance this is usually located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer. What this means is that though the upgrade would be carried out successfully, you have to manually copy the remaining contents of the bin folder to the new installation folder of the reporting server at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer. Note the difference MSRS10_50(this is the version name for sql 2008 R2) while the old installation folder path MSRS10(refrences the sql 2008). You cannot ascertain the complete list of the extensions until the upgrade is completed and then the custom extensions would be left behind in the bin folder and would need to be copied manually to the bin folder of the new installation path of the reporting server. The extensions are not in the config file but rather in the bin folder as specified in the path above and you cannot identify them all until the upgrade is over (this is due to the fact that the ones that are not custom would be automatically moved during the upgrade while the custom ones would be left behind).

I hope you find this helpful. 🙂

Comment by Damilola Osude

Hi, You mentioned that you deleted custom security and authentication entries. What were they? Could you please brief?

Comment by Kenedy

Hi Kenedy,

The security and authentication entries were not deleted. What i did was to copy the entire contents of the RSReportServer.config (open with text editor like note pad) into a text file and save it somewhere safe. Then modify the current RSReportServer.config file (look for the authentication and security tags in the file and remove them).
After the upgrade, open the saved RSReportServer.config file and copy out the security and authentication sections back (please note their positions in the old saved file) into the new RSReportServer.config file.

Hope this helps 🙂 .

Comment by Damilola Osude




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: